October 23, 2006

The Science of the Soul...Nerina Pallot

Passion and silence. Every word, every line, a m e a s u r e. It’s the science of the soul...




My friend, Peggy, just sent me an mp3 that I had to share. It's a song called "Sophia" by Nerina Pallot.

From reading her bio, it seems she comes from a very eclectic background...while keeping her foundation firm.

Someone once wrote the words” go, little book, go”. I want to re-phrase it and say “go, little song, go.” See, to me, songs have lives of their own, (the good ones at any rate): they spin their webs and catch moments, memories, emotions, and people too. Some songs are small and shy like a nervous child that suddenly breaks into a smile when you least expect, and some bully you into submission or knock you out straight up. Some you don’t hear from for ages, and then you meet them again one day and you are pleased to see they have grown up ok and aren’t stealing from grandmothers or selling you insurance. Or asking you to vote for them...

..I can sing every song off Stevie Wonder’s Talking Book and recite lyrics verbatim from Joni’s Blue. I love Steely Dan so much that I even spent hours learning the guitar solo from Reeling in the Years.....very slowly though.


I thought she was interesting...and I loved the song.

Hope y'all do, too.

---

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 03:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Shelly..you found Nerina..shes been big in the UK for years but never really made it across the puddle. I seen her at "T in the park" in Scotland a few years back and she is awesome. If you like this song, get her album "Fire", it will blow you away. Sal x

 
At 10/23/2006 03:24:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

Thanks, Sal!

I'm definitely going to be checking out more of Nerina.

Wanna know something funny? Peggy, who sent me the song, actually discovered it last week...when she was visiting Scotland. LOL

She said she was listening to public talk radio, while driving through the countryside with a friend and was just struck by the beauty of the artist.

 
At 10/23/2006 03:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley (and Peggy!)...thanks for the song. It is very pretty!

 
At 10/23/2006 04:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't listen to it yet...my boss is very "hover-y" today! He must've missed me while I was on vacay!

 
At 10/23/2006 04:03:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

It's been mighty quiet around here today.

I guess everyone is busy playing catch up.

I have to say, I've had the most productive day I've had in WEEKS! ;)

LOL

Missing y'all.

 
At 10/23/2006 04:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great gift!!!! Shelley...to steal from Gray and DD, you have added to the sound track of my Paris trip! I cannot wait to hear more of her.

 
At 10/23/2006 08:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you visit her site, you can listen to several tracks -- I liked them all on first listen. So she will definitely be in my "need to look into and possibly buy albums" column. :) Thanks for the download, Shelley.

This reminds me of a great song I wanted to share with y'all, if you don't already have it. I remember Gray posting it when he posted an "Artist with Soul" on Sonya Kitchell back in the day. Anyway, her take on "Can't Get You Out of My Mind" is freakin good. I can't believe she is 17! Here is the song ...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/otct2x

 
At 10/23/2006 09:31:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

NOLA...great song!

Thanks so much!

 
At 10/23/2006 10:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, this is a good song, Shell! A lot of the music I have been downloading lately is very mellow, I guess it's just that time of year.

Which is also why that song Nola uploaded is a great fit, too! Oh yes...

 
At 10/24/2006 09:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad y'all liked it! I have been in a mellow mood too.

Oh, Holeigh, I thought of you the other night. Sunday night I was going to go to bed early, got all situated under the covers at about 9:15, and was flipping through the channels. Well, CMT had Garth Brooks specials on all day/night apparently, so I started watching and couldn't stop! I stayed up til 11 and then MADE myself go to sleep. I had forgotten how much I love him. Good times, good times. He's so cute. I have been singing "The Dance" since then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home