February 27, 2007

Better...Not Amazingly Fantastic...But Better



The boys on American Idol did manage to improve their game from last week...but I'm still feeling that the girls might have the edge this year.

Here's my quick run down from Tuesday night (real quick...as I'm pooped and want to head to bed). Believe it or not...I felt Simon was dead on for all of his critiques.

Phil Stacey -- I don't get it...he dedicates "I Ain't Missin' You at All" to his fellow military men and women? Okayyyyy. Let's face it...the guy never starts strong with his songs. He improves as he sings, but this is not exciting or unique. I've heard better male singers at my church. That's not a put down...just an illustration of how commonplace it is. That said, I think he's safe this week.

Jarod Cotter -- And for the creepiest song dedication of the night, Mr. Cotter decides to sing "Let's Get It On" to his parents. Um...gross...my Cringe-O-Meter tops out at 11 (out of 10). Plus, he stinks the song up like a pair of socks in my brothers' laundry hamper. And...oh...let me be sure to mention the little hand move down the face. All I could think of was "Alien face hugger." My Cringe-O-Meter suddenly spiked at 25. I fear widdle Jarod might be spending next week with his mommy and daddy...'cause he could go home after that one. Yikes.

AJ Tabaldo -- I hate to admit this...but I liked his performance (of some soulful song I didn't know, but that he dedicates to Ma and Pa Tabaldo). The guy cheeses me out more than y'all can understand...but I have to give him props. However...AJ, if you plan to continue to win me over...please, for the love of all that's good and right in the world...quit with the arms-over-the head dancin'. Buddy, that move is lame with a capital GOOBER. I think he saved himself this week.

Sanjaya Malakar -- When, oh, when, will the Michael Jackson fedora crap end? Sanjaya is such a cutie...he didn't need to overdo the look. His performance, "Steppin' Out," was dedicated to his late grandfather. His voice is lovely...but he sings as if he forgets to actually breathe. He is so silent and low-key that I want to check his pulse. If he would embrace his sexiness (which is hard for 17-year-old...I know) and gain some confidence, it would help so much. I fear for Shamalamadingdong this week.

Chris Sligh -- Chris took on the musical manna...Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble," dedicated to his cutie-pie wife. He does a great job and truly makes the song his own. I don't think it was his shining moment, but it was good enough to keep in the competition.

Nick Pedro -- Nick comes out singing "Fever" for his sweetie girlfriend. I gotta say, this guy has a fantastic voice...probably my favorite male voice this season. The performance is 1,000 times better than last week's, but he's still needing to gain some comfort on stage. (He gives me an Elliot Yamin vibe.) I think he's safe this week...but he's going to have to step it up...majorly.

Blake Lewis -- Blake was a little off his game this week. He tackled "Virtual Insanity" by Jamiroquai (dedicated to his parents). He does good enough to stay in the game, but not enough to be called a stand-out tonight. I still like him and am rooting for him, 'cause the guy has a lot of talent.

Brandon Rogers -- Dedicating "Time After Time" to his grandmother...Brandon walked out onto stage...and gave an utterly amazingly...boring performance. The guy really needs to head home. Sorry Branny.

Chris Richardson -- Another performance for granny...Chris sings some Jason Mraz song that I don't know...but that I really like. He has improved greatly from last week. He chose a song with lots of tongue-twisting lyrics like Blake did...but he totally kicked Blake's butt. However, I have to say my Cringe-O-Meter did register a strong 11 when I realized he was singing "I could be the one to take you home. Baby, we could rock the night alone"...to his Gram Gram. Just...yikes. (Didn't anyone think about this stuff BEFORE these kids decided to sing sexually explicit songs to their relatives?) However, Chris is safe...this kid has "STAR" written all over him.

Sundance Head He Who Shall Not Be Named -- HWSNBN sang "Mustang Sally" as a dedication to his newborn son, Levi. Okay, the stuff about his baby was sweet. And it's good for him that he chose an upbeat song. However...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. The only thing that kept me from totally falling asleep was sitting there in amazement that he didn't put potholes in the stage with those anvil feet of his. It's not just that the guy can't dance...he can barely walk. Please send him home.

Okay...those are my thoughts. What are y'all's?

---

Entertainment Weekly's write-up. I'm usually with Michael Slezak...but I think he's a little off with his Jarrod Cotter lovin'.

---

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 2/28/2007 01:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oopsie, posted what little AI thoughts I had on the post below.

-slaps own self with wet, icky, smelly fish-

 
At 2/28/2007 08:11:00 AM, Blogger shrewspeaks said...

Okay..my bud in San Diego and I do freeform emails with our impressions of the evening...sort of a whacky play-by play.

I have provided it here:
i don't get Phil Stacey...why do people like him?





Jarred Big Hands with a bit of Marvin but this poor guy just doesn't have the chops. Very karoke to me.





Randy did not just say McSteamy





AJ my god...Nina Simone...it would have been better in drag





Sanjaya - Ummm Hat? I like the kid BUT he is WAY too young. Poor kid lacks zip.





Chris Sligh - I just like this guy.Oh he sings Ray! I love this...but I love the song. I loved it when he sang to his wife. Made me misty.





Nick Pedro - he has an interesting voice but it is missing something...oh the end is much better...i like the little growls , but the jazz synchipation is off





Blake beatbox with Jameriqui? hmmmm I don't like his voice on this. It is too sharp a sound. I would loved Sanjaya to sing this. The scatting was great though. My prediction is this guy is going fade out like Ace did.





Brandon - I want to like this guy so much...Time After Time for his Gram. I just can't see him getting far. He makes Sanjaya look magnetic





Chris - He sang THIS song to his Gram? He is very Backstreet Boyz. I guess I don't like him...and I love to Jason Mraz Best tonight, Simon?





Urgh Jason Head (I refuse to use his "put on" name) - Mustang is good on him, but he didn't really do anything with it. He could have run that through with his voice.



Those were my initial impressions. Overall the quality of men vs. women is deplorable. gee, nice force to get the female win!

 
At 2/28/2007 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRAP...it took my google identity

 
At 2/28/2007 08:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my overall thoughts on AI:
Chris Sligh-good, but not great. He showed a sweet side of himself which the public will like.
Nick P.-I love his voice (like Shelley) but he needs to step up the charisma.
AJ-much better this week.
Jared C.--all style no substance. Time for him to go.
Chris R.-I thought he did a good job, but didn't get the judges saying he was the best of the night???
Blake-he's good, just not my style.
Sanjaya-bad song choice!!!! I'm afraid he's going this week.
Phil-I like his voice, but he's kind of a one-note perforemer.
Brandon-boooooring!!!
Mr.Head-better this week, but I just don't care for his style.

Who should go home:Brandon and Sanjaya
Who will go home(I'm afraid):Nick and ???

 
At 2/28/2007 08:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, I meant to say Jared and Sanjaya should go home (although Brandon wasn't so hot either).

 
At 2/28/2007 08:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still pulling for Nick Pedro because I like the quality of his voice. The smoky richness. That said, 'Fever' by Peggy Lee is one of my all-time favorite songs, and no one better go near it unless they can do better (Why do I feel like one of the judges talking about a Celine, Mariah, or Christina song?). Nick, you're no Peggy Lee.

Chris Sligh did nothing to endear Taylor Hicks fans last night. Didn't matter how good he did with 'Trouble', it was sacrilege. I don't even think Ray's original is as good as Taylor's.

I see the boy-band star thing about Chris Richardson, but his voice grates on my nerves. It's like it's high-pitched even when it's not. Chris and Nick could sing the same note, and Chris's voice would sound higher, if that makes any sense.

I hope Brandon got enough votes to be back next week. He's got a nice voice. Bad song selection.

Sanjaya, Jared, and Sundance should be the bottom three.

 
At 2/28/2007 08:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, yes the guys did better this week, but still not too good. I enjoyed Blake and the two Chris's. Baby duck is right, as much as I love Trouble, the song belongs to Taylor. A little cheeky to choose that. There are so many song possibilities at this stage I just don't get it.

 
At 2/28/2007 08:57:00 AM, Blogger jcitysoul said...

A slightly different take on the performances for me:

Phil Stacey: enjoy his performances but nothing unique or outstanding enough to win...may go home

Jarod: Had high hopes for him but didn't pull off the Marvin song. Karoke for me, too...think he'll stick around for a while

AJ: Enjoyed performance but that's all but nothiing special.."strangely comfortable up there" ..probably stick around

Sanjaya: cute but out of his league..thought his performance was pitiful...should go home


Chris Sligh: Version of Trouble was good but paled in comparison to Taylor's...like him..he'll be back next week


Nick: I agree that he lacks "it" ..will be back

Blake: Like him better than I thought I would but not my style...will be back

The Other Chris: Not my style of music but nice voice...he'll be back

Brandon: I like him a lot..but unfortunately this song didn't let him shine...hope he'll be back.

Sundance: Finally showing some talent shown in audition. I liked him but time will tell...he'll be back

I agree that this crop of "talent" is sorely lacking in uniqueness, style and charisma. Maybe someone will up...hoping it's Brandon...but currently don't care enough to vote for anyone.

 
At 2/28/2007 09:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Sundance did well, but I think he'll only do OK if he sings THAT kind of song, you know? Clearly he sucked singing the other songs between now and his first audition. I think he'll struggle with the theme weeks. (don't they all?)

I hope Brandon gets another chance too. I think he has a lot more in there than we saw last night.

I hope the voters don't keep Sanjaya around like they did Chicken Little or John Stevens. Grrr.

 
At 2/28/2007 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

babyduck, I'm glad you like Nick's voice too. I love listening to it. Very smoky, sexy, soothing. I'm afraid he's gonna go home this week though. HC4S and I voted for him last night (and Chris S). I think Sanjaya will make it to the final 12 (the Kevin C. factor). His performance last night reminded me of a high school talent show (just like Randy said). I wish he had tried out a few years down the line.

 
At 2/28/2007 11:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh by the by...did anyone try and watch the train wreck of "So you think you are smarter than a 5th grader"?

MAKE THAT STOP NOW FOX!

 
At 2/28/2007 11:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys... Shelley, thanks for the welcome in the other thread. I've read your blog a few times before and followed your very witty and point on commentary on GC but never posted here. Used to post on GC before it got so "big".

Anyway... I can't even pick 6 guys out of those left that I'd like to see carry on. Shelley I'm with you on Sundance, I can't stand the guy. I think that Mustang Sally had a low degree of difficulty, and it was no big deal. Any decent wedding singer band worth its weight in bad champagne can pull of that very same performance, or even better. I'm kinda diggin' Nick's voice... wish he would make it to the top 12, but I think he may be doomed tonight, and my other favorite, Brandon disappointed last night. Dammit to hell I was really pulling for him to break out but he instead crawled into oblivion. Bad, bad choice, baby. I don't get Chis R. Too Justin Timberlakey for my taste. So my top 5 in no order, Chris S (a certain charm, a decent singer, and he did not alienate me with his Trouble performance, even though I adore Taylor's, Chris's was more like the original and thats ok. I'm just glad Simon didn't feel the need to compaire Taylor and Chris, because theya re so different), Nick, AJ, Brandon and Blake. The rest can all go home as far as I am concerned. There is not an Elliot nor even a Bucky in the bunch!

 
At 2/28/2007 12:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shrew, I watched about 10 minutes of that infernal show, and had to turn the channel. It was baaaaadddd!! The adult contestant was embarrassingly dense--he used his 3 "helps" with the 1st grade questions. And I'm kinda over Jeff Foxworthy--"you might be a redneck if you host a show called Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".

Spaceytracy, I agree with all your thoughts. I was so hoping Brandon would be better, but I was disappointed. I am not impressed with Mr.Head. I hope, hope, hope, Nick gets to stay another week and show some charisma!!!!

 
At 2/28/2007 12:29:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

leejolem said, "you might be a redneck if you host a show called Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"

Congratulations...you get the

Official Prize of the Day

 
At 2/28/2007 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, Shelley, that prize is scorchin' hot!!! WTG Lee... ha!

 
At 2/28/2007 12:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woooohooo!!!! Official Prize of the Day winner. I'll have to wait til I'm at home to look at my scorchin hot pic. Shelley, thank you in advance.

 
At 2/28/2007 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAWWWWTTTTT! Lerve his hair in this pic.

 
At 2/28/2007 06:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lordy, I gotta say I was way more disturbed by Chris singing Geek in the Pink to his grandma. Not only what the title of the song is refering to but several errr... suggestive lines of the song.

Well let the geek in the pink take a stab at it
If you like the way I'm thinkin' baby wink at it
I may be skinny at times but I'm fat fulla rhymes

Well she can get her toys outta the drawer then
Cause I ain't comin' home I don't need that attention, see

Hey baby look at me go
From zero to hero
You better take it from a geek like me
Well I can save you from unoriginal dum-dums
Who wouldn't care if you com....plete them or not

And then of course wrapping it up with saying over and over again Geek in the Pink. Oh it's just wrong. It's the equivalent to nails on the chalkboard for me. My only solace is that his grandma will probably have no clue what the song is about.

 
At 2/28/2007 09:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way late on this one, but...

I agree with Shelley on pretty much everything except 1) I still like Phil and 2) Brandon wasn't great, but he's got a lovely voice and I like to look at him. Chris Richardson just kinda makes me mad, because he does nothing for me yet he gets this lavish praise for having what I consider a weak voice. I don't know, haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home