November 6, 2006

An Antenna Is Raised



Well...it's a very floppy antenna...but it's an antenna.

I didn't realize until I held the actual monkbot...but the head is made up of moving metal parts...cover in a loose faux "fur." I tried to keep the antenna lightweight...using a wooden dowel and a wooden bead and a wooden "foot." But, ultimately, it didn't matter. Because the antenna is only attached to the fur and not to the metal head...it wiggles...a lot.

Here's how I created the antenna: (This whole process took me about three hours...yikes.)

Using a utility knife, first I cut the dowel to the length desired and whittled down the end that would insert into the pre-drilled bead.



Next I covered the whittled end of the dowel with wood glue and fitted it into the wooden bead. I then used wood putty to fill in the top of the hole on the bead.



Using the smallest nail I had around the house...I nailed the wooden foot to the end of the dowel. This was my first problematic step...as I split the dowel with my hammering (you can see in the picture below). Fortunately, wood putty covers a multitude of sins (I wish it helped with thighs).

So I used the putty to smooth out all the cracks and splits...let the putty dry...then sanded it all down.



I gave about three coats of paint to the antenna...let it dry...then affixed an adhesive dot of Velcro on the bottom of the antenna and on the Monkbot's head (after giving him a little haircut).



The end result looks pretty good...but wobbles like CRAZY! Oh well...at least these will be photographs and not movies. I hope y'all aren't expecting perfection.



Next step...shivers with nervousness...THE VISOR!!

---

Labels:

24 Comments:

At 11/06/2006 06:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is looking goood! I have never worked with polymers either...is Ben going to help?

PS- do we need a MonkBot donation pool?

 
At 11/06/2006 06:48:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

No...timing won't allow Ben to be able to help.

Don't worry about donations. Other than my cost to mail it to the first recipient...I shouldn't be spending any more on it.

But thanks!

 
At 11/06/2006 07:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a brave woman, Shelley. Crafts skeer me.

 
At 11/06/2006 07:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well-done, Shelley - wow - you've really taken great care over his new look. He is one fab monkbot. very impressed!

0--{:8)}

 
At 11/06/2006 07:55:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Rowan created a smilie Monkbot!

0--{:8)}

Brilliant!

Official Prize of the Day to YOU!

 
At 11/06/2006 08:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, thanks! Couldn't decide whether to post him with his meean edgy face, or the cuter look he has by adding a space below his nose. Hmmmm. Will see which is more aesthetically appealing to Mama Monkbot!

0--(:8 ))

Grrrreat Taylor pic!

 
At 11/06/2006 08:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - used the wrong bracket that time - meant to use the one with the pointy middle. Font geek off to do some radical cleaning!

 
At 11/06/2006 08:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

0---(:8)}

Just practicing

 
At 11/06/2006 09:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well at least you dodged the hot glue gun. it is a treacherous thing that might have landed you in the ER!

glad for the Monday morning laugh...I needed one!

0---(:8)}

 
At 11/06/2006 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

0---(:8|}

Woo hoo! Monkbot smiley! Thanks, ROWAN!

 
At 11/06/2006 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Shelley you really got down to business girl! He looks great so far!

 
At 11/06/2006 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that our monkbot looks especially freaky in that picture at the top of the post?
*Squee is reconsidering her involvement in the travelling Monkbot project*

 
At 11/06/2006 11:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, MonkBot looks reeeeeal scary - I've been MIA for a while, real life kinda took over there briefly, dammit!! Hey, is the Monkbot coming to Ireland??? Might be costly for whoever has to send it though.....

 
At 11/06/2006 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: You do NOT want the Monkbot turn right before Clair

 
At 11/06/2006 04:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: Hand deliver MonkBot to Claire

 
At 11/06/2006 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Quossum said...

Coming along GREAT, Shelley!

There's something very satisfying about tackling that kind of off-the-beaten-path artsy project, isn't there? The visor will be a fun challenge. I can't wait to see the results!

*inspired by the creative energy, scurries back to quilting*

--Q

 
At 11/06/2006 09:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww -- Ro, very nice smiley! (she also has mad photoshopping skilz, sporadic, but mad)

I think it would be very cool to hand deliver the 'bot to its next destination.

Hi, Claire! Was wondering how you were.

Texan, my sister let me near her hair with a glue gun and a handful of fake pearls on her wedding day. The women in my family are nothing if not brave...

 
At 11/06/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Wry Mouth said...

lovely photo-journal. reminds me of Cockeyed.com -- and that's a nifty compliment!

 
At 11/07/2006 09:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley, when the visor's done, can you pull it low before snapping a picture? Because just now, as I was looking at the top photo of Monkbot, I coulda sworn those eyes blinked.

Good thing I had already set my coffee cup down.

Maybe someone should handcarry Monkbot to me too. I might be too skeered to open the package ...

 
At 11/07/2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hellooooo Monkbots! Morning. How is everyone? So did y'all catch the already infamous "Faith Hill Gets Pissed When Carrie Underwood Wins Best Female Vocalist" moment from the CMAs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_P-aYADTkw

 
At 11/07/2006 12:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOLA that is the best!

 
At 11/07/2006 01:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, can you believe that crap? I would love to see the damage control that is sure to ensue from Faith's camp. Good for Carrie, though.

 
At 11/07/2006 02:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOLA...that was hilarious! I feel a little bad for Faith though....she is nevah gonna live THAT one down!

 
At 11/07/2006 03:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have y'all heard the great news?

Britney Spears has filed for divorce from her LOSER husband K-Fed! About damn time!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home