November 9, 2006

Traveling Monkbot Project

Now that antennas have been raised, offensive smells have been eradicated, batteries have been bought, and visors have been donned...the Traveling Monkbot Project (or TMP) is ready to officially get underway.

What is TMP?
TMP is a way to connect all Monkbots around the world via a skeery little toy that was bought on eBay and "fashioned" by this blog's owner to become the Traveling Monkbot.
Actually...it's Shelley's way of trying to get a side-splitting picture(s) of Taylor Hicks holding said Monkbot...especially if more than one person encounters Taylor and he's like "What the crap is this boomerang of a monstrosity these weird people keep shoving at me to have my picture taken with?" Yeah...that would totally rawk.

How does TMP work?
As readers of this blog learn of the project and decide to take part, they will send their shipping information to monkbottalk@gmail.com and agree to house the Traveling Monkbot for a week...taking photos of the Monkbot at landmarks or hot spots in their city or just around their home before shipping it to the next recipient.

Who can take part?
Well, if I know you...you can take part. I'm not sending this out to anyone who doesn't have an established presence at Monkbot Talk...period. I love inclusion, but I'm a realist...the folks here will care about the project more than someone who simply learns of it and asks to take part on a lark. Sorry...that may be mean...but tough. I've worked too hard on this to see it go down the toilet because someone doesn't take it seriously (well...as seriously as you can take a mechanical monkey jazzed up to look like a crazed Monkbot).

Will my address be kept private?
Yes and no. Everyone will need to send their address to me, Shelley. I will then map out an initial route for the Monkbot to travel on his wild adventure (however long it takes...my guess is as good as yours on this). As people are added to the project, I'll work them into the plan. But, to keep me from having to pay out the wazoo for shipping over and over and over again...I think it would make more sense for the Monkbot to be sent to the next person from the current holder. So, your actual address will be shared with whomever has the Monkbot before you, so they can address the box (however, there is a caveat to this...allowing for total anonymity...as you'll read below).

Do I have to let folks know where I live if I take part?
That's the point of the whole thing really...to see where everybody is...at least in the general sense of city and state...not street address. (Besides, it'd make no sense to have Traveling Monkbot photographed at landmarks and NOT know where those landmarks are.) However, if you wish for your information to be kept private but you want to be a part of the fun, that can be arranged. You would just let me know that in the initial e-mail. I will make sure the person who sends you the Monkbot would only know your mailing address (shipping name would be Monkbot Smith or something) and when your photos are posted on the site, I'll only indicate the city and landmarks without mentioning your name.

Will this cost me anything?
Just shipping and time. As far as overseas, I'll be sure to ask if you would mind taking on that burden before I sign you up to ship to another country...but I will ask that someone step up and help (if you are willing to do this...please indicate so in your initial e-mail). I can't swing putting in more money than I already have on this project.

How do I get my photos to you?
You e-mail them to monkbottalk@gmail.com. I do NOT want to have to scan in people's pictures. I don't have the time to dedicate to that and I won't offer to do it. Shelley's the meanest Monkbot in town.

How many pictures will I need to provide?
I ask that you limit the picture count to 7 (clean and suitable for viewing by Monkbots young and old). And DO NOT send me 20 pictures and tell me to decide. I will turn red with anger and seethe like a Monkbot gone wild! Simply choose the best/most representative/funniest photos and send them to me.

Will I need to write anything?
Yes...but NO NOVELS. When you send the photos, include text in the body of an e-mail about your visit with the Monkbot...what y'all did...where you went...if he burped his wine...etc. Also, if anyone is pictured with the Monkbot (pets included) please identify who is in the photo. DON'T ASSUME I KNOW WHO SOMEONE IS. You may think I should know that Roberta is your grand-niece or Alphonso is your husband...but I won't know unless you tell me...I ain't that smart. Also, be sure to clarify what we are seeing in the pictures. If you've photographed Traveling Monkbot outside of the town hall...tell me that's where he is. AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW UNLESS YOU TELL ME...ASSUME NOTHING...I'VE BEEN KNOWN TO CONFUSE BIG BEN AND THE CHRYSLER BUILDING.

When will my story be posted?
As soon as I know the Monkbot has been received by the next person, I'll post the most recent tale. I know time is precious to everyone but I would like for Monkbot to stay on the move as much as possible...at least a week at each person's house and no longer than three weeks at any location.

Shelley, do you seriously want pictures of Taylor Hicks with the Monkbot?
Um...unequivocally and resoundingly...YES! If you think you may be going to a concert or appearance with Taylor, let me know as soon as possible. I would love to have at least one shot of the thing with the original Monkbot...more shots if possible.

What happens if I lose the Monkbot?
I'll cry.

Of course I ask that you take care of the Monkbot and treat it responsibly (away from dogs and kids...off high ledges and out from under Mack trucks). However, seriously, don't sweat it. If something happens to the thing...well, I guess the project will end. We'll write a nice eulogy and move on. Don't feel like you're responsible for guarding it with your life...THIS IS JUST FOR FUN!

When will I get my turn with the Monkbot?
I'll put together the list as names come in and make out the route. I will try to let you know a week ahead of time when you will receive the Monkbot. However, as this is something I've never done before and cannot possibly predict how operation of the project will run...I make NO PROMISES!

Do you think/hope/want Taylor Hicks or Gray Charles to get the Monkbot and take part in the project?
OF COURSE!!! But I'm not expecting it in the least. If it happens great...if not, it's okay. So, don't get expectations up. Let's focus on just seeing where all this little guy can travel and what he can see...that in itself is cool enough.

Can I get it first?
Dibs have already been called. Sorry. After I take pictures of Traveling Monkbot around Jackson, I'm mailing this mug out!

How do I sign up?
Easy. Send your name (what you go by online) and your physical address to monkbottalk@gmail.com! I will send you a confirmation e-mail to let you know whether or not you were accepted into the Traveling Monkbot Project.

Okay, folks, I think that about covers it. If I have additional guidelines, I'll be sure to post updates.

I can't wait to hear from you. Let's get this Monkbot on the road!

---

Labels:

47 Comments:

At 11/08/2006 10:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will he fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box -- 11" X 8.5" X 5.5"? If so, it would give everyone an idea of the mailing cost before signing up ($8.10). And if postage is purchased online, free delivery confirmation is included.

 
At 11/08/2006 10:52:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

The Monkbot was sent to me Parcel Post in a box that measured 12 x 7 x 7 from Pennsylvania to Mississippi and cost $5.96 for postage. But Parcel Post took three weeks to get to me...I'm just sayin'.

 
At 11/08/2006 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parcel post? Criminey -- it sounds like the postal worker stuffed in a backpack and pedaled all of the way.

 
At 11/09/2006 06:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Signed Up!

 
At 11/09/2006 06:46:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Mind Doc...basically I think that's what happened.

I didn't think the thing would EVER get here.

So far...FOUR folks have signed up! Yay!

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you!

o--{:8)}

 
At 11/09/2006 07:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so effin awesome. Crazy, but awesome. You did a great job.

The dork in me is screaming with amusement and excitement. I'll admit it, I've got it bad for the monkbot (and no, not in that beastiality kind of way).

 
At 11/09/2006 07:13:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Ash...I certainly hope you'll sign up! ;)

Hey all...give me some feedback...was I too harsh on who can take part? (Only folks with an established presence here.) That doesn't mean that someone can't join in later...but they would need to show their willingness to participate by joining discussions somewhat.

I know there are a lot of lurkers on this site who don't comment. I don't want anyone to feel slighted...but I didn't know the best way to manage this.

What do y'all think?

 
At 11/09/2006 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no -- you were not too harsh. That was a lot of work, and there is a lot of trust involved -- names, etc. However, I have no problem in donating to something akin to a safety deposit to help keep the Monkbot in good shape and/or have a fund for his replacement, should he harmed if someone was holding him up to get that perfect shot of the monkbot as the fifth head at Mt. Rushmore and a displaced Filipino monkey-eating eagle swooped down and carried him off.

Or something like that.

 
At 11/09/2006 08:27:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Thanks, Mind Doc.

A deposit is not necessary...just a willingness to participate and to pay for shipping.

About the antenna...it's already broken free of its glueing moor. Oh well...I guess it's just destine to wobble.

(Though, I might try to reglue it again...probably won't be worth the effort though...lol.)

 
At 11/09/2006 08:52:00 AM, Blogger Wry Mouth said...

who DOESN'T want pictures of Taylor Hicks with a monkbot? This project ranks a 9 out of 10 on the genius scale!

 
At 11/09/2006 09:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there any plans for the picture to be taken with LMBO too?
Jus' wonderin.

 
At 11/09/2006 09:06:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love everything about this project! LURVE IT! There about about 20 boogieboarders going to see LMBO in Destin for New Years Eve. I'm just sayin'. A monkbot replacement fund just in case harm comes to the wee guy is a good idea.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again...I will be flayed alive if caught at my desk this week (must be available for the M.D.'s at all times!!!)...however...the TMP is waaay more important than my job, my health...heck, my life!!

Inhale.

That lil furry man is what I've been waiting and hoping and praying for my whole life. I can't wait to have him in my arms...

Inhale.

Will be emailing you with my info.

Inhale.

(I love Emmitt and Cheryl.)

 
At 11/09/2006 10:06:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

If anyone wants to get a picture of the Traveling Monkbot with LiMBO...that would be more than welcomed!

Right now...I just want folks to sign up. I'm not worried about replacing it...seriously.

Hey Wrymouth...thanks for the compliment. ;)

 
At 11/09/2006 10:16:00 AM, Blogger jenniesaunt said...

Your Monkbot Rules were written like a person with experiences working in the public sector. My opinion is that they are very thorough. Well, as thorough as possible when initiating a ground-breaking experiment such as this one.
My Jennie is visiting me this week-end and I want to show her the monkbot! She lives about 90 miles away and I cannot wait to get my Jennie-fix. Yes. I am delusional to think that "Teen-Ager Jennie" will do anything but roll her eyes, but I never give up! My mission in life is to embarrass her and I am very good at it.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to weasel my way into one of the "appearances" in NYC. Trust me, it's no easy task.

If I get the golden ticket I'll send out an APB to get the MonkBot to the Big Apple in time to get a picture with Taylor.

Amen Brother.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:26:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Gray...I could kiss you...but I won't.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I Kiss You!

Also, Public Beta of Gray Charles 2.0 is now up.

Public Beta

Please don't repost

 
At 11/09/2006 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all signed up too. :) Thanks Shelley!

Gray, the site looks good. Besides the "Greatest Hits" part, this is my most favorite thing that I read: "talk into a tape player and listen to your own voice - whatever." Ha.

(I tried out the search function btw, and it worked)

 
At 11/09/2006 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Signing up!

And Mind Doc, extra points for knowing it's "Filipino" and not "Philipino." (Minus ten points if you thought it was "Jalapeno.")

Late day today. Up all night thinking calculus. I wonder why.

 
At 11/09/2006 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gray, was that don't repost or don't riposte?

As evidence of me being totally out of the loop, can someone pleeeese tell me what the whole "Wayne Newton" phrase is supposed to mean on GC?

 
At 11/09/2006 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind Doc, Gray was getting so fed up of the "Thank You Gray!!!!" posts he was getting when he re-opened that he posted a thread with Wayne Newton singing "Danke Schoen" (that's "Thank You" in German)to put an end to all the thank you crapola. So saying "Wayne Newton Gray", kinda became code for saying "thanks". Simple as.

 
At 11/09/2006 02:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Claire,
Ah -- dots are now connected. Than -- er -- anksthay.

 
At 11/09/2006 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys, when did Gray originally post the link to the new site? I only found out about it today, but comments on the new site date back to the beginning of the month. I obviously missed the link, when and where did it happen? Or was it "invite only??"

 
At 11/09/2006 03:26:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

claire...i think it was invite only.

 
At 11/09/2006 03:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey -- when are the NYC appearances? Around Christmas or earlier?

 
At 11/09/2006 03:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shelley.

*is hurt. Don'cha love ME, Gray??*

 
At 11/09/2006 03:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire - I think I read on the new site somewhere that he had posted the link on the Boogie Board somewhere?

---

Anyway, how is everyone doing today? It's been awfully slow around here!

 
At 11/09/2006 05:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo!!! Big ole Wayne Newton to Shelley on "the Project" and to Gray for a maybe on the Monkbot a Monkbot photo op....this is going to be so kewl.

While you're at it, have Taylor hold up a sign that says "Double D RAWKS!"

heh.

 
At 11/09/2006 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Quossum said...

MonkBot looks great! Sign me up! Shelley, your rules are perfect--reasonable, covering all bases without being too strict. I totally agree with the whole "presence on the site" thing.

Hey, if MonkBot gets to meet Taylor, I still have a quilt longing to meet him, too! =) Who knows...I'm hoping that tour coming up in February or so will make its way to Texas some time or another...

--Q

 
At 11/09/2006 06:29:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

Hey Q!

I have your address and stuff...but go ahead and drop me an e-mail at monkbottalk@gmail.com. I'm making an online folder of everyone who signed up and want your "official sign up" e-mail in the mix.

Signed,
Ms. Anal Retentive

 
At 11/09/2006 07:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Anal Retentive! :)

Grey's coming up soon! Woooooooooooo!!!!!

 
At 11/09/2006 08:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DoubleD: I think not only should Taylor hold up a sign that says Double D Rawks but he should also perform one of your raps to the beat of the Monkbot cymbals. One can dream...

 
At 11/09/2006 09:03:00 PM, Blogger shelley said...

taylor holding sign...performing rap...while down on one knee...proposing to ME!

Now THAT'S a dream...

 
At 11/09/2006 10:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would settle for Taylor washing my dishes. And no...that is NOT an euphemism for anything. I hate washing dishes.

Shelley...this project is so much fun! Thanks for taking it and running with it! Hopefully Taylor will realize this is all in good fun, and not think we are a bunch of weirdos!

I am thinking of how to ask my RCMP friend to dress in his serge and pose with the Monkbot without looking like a total freak! I'm sure I will think of something.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley,

This is a precious project. I would love to play host to Monkbot. I have sent my email to you.

Love the postage stamp too !!

 
At 11/10/2006 01:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libby - the postage stamp is really deeply groovy,I love it too! What a great symbol of the zaniness of this great community. I love the idea of Monkbot threading his way between us, opening wee windows and shedding a little light on all our diverse worlds in our other lives...otherwise known as the things we do which irritatingly get in the way of posting more often on Monkbot! Hee hee.

Watching Travelling Monkbot arriving at each new destination, seeing him from unusual perspectives in unexpected places will be truly uplifiting and a constant ongoing surprise. He is the cliff-hanger at the end of each chapter in the novel you can't put down. He is a rallying-call to our imaginations, a conduit for out mutual craziness which is flowing ever near the surface. Hooray!

I am very excited (does it show? lol) and can see the Monkbot becoming an A List celeb. Those and such as those will be elbowing eachother out of the way to be snapped posing next to him. He has just such an aura of HAPPENINness COOLdom. I am hopin he leaves a trace of this behind him when he comes my way in the future...can hear him mutter, in a robotic version of a lovely Southern accent "The first step in becoming as cool as me is to hold the hyperbole..." Hee hee.

 
At 11/10/2006 09:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squee, does RCMP mean a Mountie? And am I allowed to say that? I think that the Monkey and the Mountie is a great idea. As to Taylor thinking that this is weird, and more importantly, that we are weirdos, it is a risk worth taking. As long as we are not sporting tattoos or something like that, I would think that our actions are pretty tame.

 
At 11/10/2006 09:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind Doc: RCMP=Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Yes....Mountie is acceptable! ;) I was kinda kidding about the Taylor thinking we are weird part.....but I admit the thought had crossed my mind!

Did I say that I am excited about this????

 
At 11/10/2006 10:23:00 AM, Blogger shelley said...

taylor thinking we're weird is like the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

i'll bet he takes it in strides (if he even learns about it) and has a laugh over it.

afterall...we have gray's endorsement...right?

 
At 11/10/2006 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelley...so true about the pot and kettle deal...I hadn't thought of it that way! I feel better now.
(Seriously, I was kidding about that!):P

 
At 11/10/2006 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breaking free from lurker obscurity to join in. Now, to introduce myself....... I met Shelley at the Project: Heart and Soul when Taylor came to B'ham. She had a better viewing space than I did, and was kind enough to do some space-swapping-shuffeling with me. Of course, I was a good foot taller than her so she may have just been tired of me practically resting my camera on her head at times. Anyway - great site, interesting comments, intruiging project.

 
At 11/10/2006 12:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Photoholic!

 
At 11/10/2006 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Photoholic! Welcome. :)

 
At 11/10/2006 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks y'all. I look forward to following the Monkbot's exciting adventures and travels. :)

 
At 11/10/2006 08:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Photoholic! Welcome, and glad that you delurked.

 
At 11/12/2006 09:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks mind doc..............and looks like a Happy Birthday should be sent your way. Hope the celebration was fun and the glasses stayed full. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home